The MyWorkDrive Server services provide web based access to existing Windows file shares that support our Web File Manager, Mapped Drive Client and Mobile Apps. The MyWorkDrive Server services should be installed on stand-alone Windows physical or virtual server that is located on the same LAN and domain as the Windows file shares and run within IIS. Setup will install the IIS services automatically. In addition to making the file shares available over a web browser, the MyWorkDrive server enables our API for securely mapping drives using our Mapped Drive, Office 365 & Mobile Clients. For additional details, read the Technical Overview Support Doc.
Before you begin, ensure you have regular and complete backups of your file server(s). In addition, we recommend volume shadow copy be enabled with hourly snapshots on all file share drives. View the setup video here: MyWorkDrive Setup Video
Step 1: Server Prerequisites
Domain-joined, fully patched server running Windows 2012 - 2016 Server.
.Net 4.6 (will be prompted to install by setup as needed).
Minimum 8 GB ram, 2 virtual cpu's if installed as a virtual machine
Direct Internet access on the server running MyWorkDrive (no proxy services) to activate and initialize the software with outgoing firewall access to ports 443, 9350-9354 and 5671. For additional details on locked down environments view our firewall settings guide.
- Antivirus software products installed on the MWD server can interfere MyWorkDrive processes and cause extreme slowness for IIS Web Services.
Incoming port 443 (if you will be using your own domain name & SSL certificate).
- Server must be part of a Windows Active Directory domain, ideally a member server (although it may be installed on a domain controller as well for small businesses with some limitations).
- If not installed directly on the Windows file server, the server where MyWorkDrive is installed should be on the same LAN as the Windows file server for best performance.
We do not support installing MyWorkDrive on a server that is running Small Business Server, Microsoft Exchange, other IIS sites or any software that includes IIS .net components.
If shares are through ADFS or DFS it is necessary to enable delegation so that the MWD Server trusts these servers - see support article here.
Additional client requirements and limitations are located in our support article here.
Step 2: Verify & Run the MyWorkDrive Server Setup
- Logon to the server as a domain admin
- Run MyWorkDrive-Setup.exe,
- When setup completes restart the server to complete the installation.
- Open the MyWorkDrive Control Panel (shortcut on the Desktop) in Chrome browser at http://127.0.0.1:8358
- The post setup wizard will launch with basic setup questions including shares, Office 365 editing and optional myworkdrive.net relay usage
- Once at least 1 share is setup and the server is made public (using myworkdrive.net domain or your own host name(see below) you may begin using MyWorkDrive.
- You will receive an email when your site is ready if using *.myworkdrive.net domain - this takes about 15 minutes.
Step 3: Post Setup: Login into the Admin Portal to Setup Shares
Open the MyWorkDrive Admin page at http://127.0.0.1:8358 on the MyWorkDrive Server
Login using an account with domain admin credentials ( mycompany\administrator or email@example.com ). DO NOT LOGIN USING A LOCAL ACCOUNT
If you have trouble viewing the admin page in your server's browser adjust your screen size and disable Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration (IE ESC) for administrators.
- If no shares are already setup (new installs) The MyWorkDrive Admin Panel will start with the Add Shares section already open, otherwise click Add to setup shares. Enter a folder name (share name) and the folder path that points either to the local file share path (eg: e:\share if installed directly on the file server ) or enter the path to the network share using host name and share name on the same LAN as the MyWorkDrive Server (eg: \\server1\shared ).
- Import existing Users and Groups permissions or manually search and Add Groups and/or Users you wish to permit access to the shares in MyWorkDrive.
- Verify Home Drive Settings on the Settings tab - enabled by default - this information is pulled from Active Directory automatically for each user on their profile tab.
- Set the file size limit for transfers ( this will depend on your internet upload/download speed ), we recommend limiting to 30 MB or less on slower connections.
- Starting in Server version 4 we allow entering %username% variables - for example: \\servername\project\%username% in the folder path. If the user has a folder only their folder will appear under the share.
** Note existing file share permissions on your file server should be everyone full control and only utilize NTFS to limit user file permissions - As a security precaution, MyWorkDrive passes through authentication and will only provide access to files and shares the user/group already has on the internal network, Users must already have NTFS and share permissions to the files prior to adding to MyWorkDrive. Share permissions are a legacy feature in Windows and best practice is to set user permissions using NTFS only and allow everyone full control at the share level.
Step 5: Proceed to accessing the client file web access site to verify functionality
- Access the local site for basic testing of the site at http://127.0.0.1:8357 ( Chrome browser is best )
- Login using various users to test web file access, shares and home drive access if allowed on the Server. Note: open documents online will not work on this test site, for full testing publish to the cloud - see below.
a. Cloud Connector: https://YourCompany.MyWorkDrive.netIf you would like to use our Cloud Web Connector to make your server available to user's in the cloud at YourCompany.MyWorkDrive.net simply access the settings page at http://127.0.0.1:8358 on your server and enter your host name on myworkdrive.net and choose your closest data center. While you are waiting for the deployment to complete you may test locally using the client test site at http://127.0.0.1:8357. Typically your server is live in under 1 hour. Note: We do not support myworkdrive.net for production use of our mapped drive client. For fastest speeds and larger file access we recommend you setup direct access using step b below.b. Publish your own domain by adding an SSL certificateFor fastest speeds, use your own hostname, SSL Certificate and open port 443 from your firewall. Overview: Setup a hostname on your domain:eg: share.mycompany.com, Install and purchase an SSL certificate, Bind the "WebClient" site in IIS to port 443 and finally expose your site over port 443 through your firewall. For security we do not recommend opening up your site to port 80 (http). For additional instructions see our support guide on how to setup and install your own SSL Certificate/Hostname to your MyWorkDrive server.
Optimization Tip: We recommend using internal DNS to force any site traffic as local - So for example internally share.yourcompany.com should resolve to the internal ip address. This speeds up internal access and bypasses any firewall issues nat'ing back to itself. This is standard practice for any internally hosted website - for example Exchange Outlook Web Access.
Office 365 Online File Editing: Knowledge Base Article
MyWorkDrive Server supports online editing of documents stored on local file shares in Office 365 Online in our Web Browser client and in iOS Office apps.
MyWorkDrive is the only solution that allows users to edit Office Documents in Office 365 Online but store them on-premise.
An Office 365 Business account is required to edit Office documents online (View does not require an Office 365 Business Account).
Enable Office 365 Editing using the Advanced Settings Tab in the MyWorkDrive Server Admin Site on your MyWorkDrive Server.
Optionally add domain domain lookup of your signin URL to assist mobile iOS users - If your domain user's email address can also be used to sign-in to active directory. If enabled, when a user adds MyWorkDrive as a place in iOS mobile office apps they can sign-in with just email address and password and will not be prompted to enter their MyWorkDrive server URL: for example acme.com sign-in URL is https://share.acme.com:
Home Drives: By default home drives are enabled and available to users when they login. MyWorkDrive will display the UNC path as specified for that user in AD Users & Computers. The file server should be located ideally on the same LAN as the MyWorkDrive server ( or on a very fast connection ) and will need to be able to resolve the server by the host name as entered in AD Users & Computers.
Session Timeout: In Advanced Settings it is possible to edit the default settings for user session timeouts ( Session Timeouts ). Please note you can set both the public PC and private PC settings on this page (calculated in minutes). The default times are 8 hours for Public computer and 5 days for private computer ( these match Microsoft Office 365 defaults ). Adjust these timeouts to meet your companies security requirements. For additional security enable Duo Two Factor Authentication.
Two Factor: We support Duo Two Factor Authentication for enhanced security. Configuration details are located in our Two Factor Authentication Support Article. Two Factor Authentication requires an Enterprise or Partner License.
ADFS SSO: ADFS integration allows users to access MyWorkDrive using ADFS for a Single Sign On Experience without requiring re-entering of credentials. ADFS Support Article Note: MyWorkDrive users can already sign-in with their Active Directory accounts, ADFS adds additional integration options for enterprises. An Enterprise license is required to enable this feature.
Branding: Enterprise licensees can customize the powered by, help page URL, background and toolbar colors
Previous Versions MyWorkDrive connects to Windows Volume Shadow Copy Snapshots (VSS) services to enable previous versions restores from our Web Client. Review the support article for Previous VersionsEnterprise Search: MyWorkDrive integrates with the the Windows Search Service. Due to Windows limitations, Windows Search integration is only appropriate for up to 2 TB maximum. 3rd Party search integration for larger file servers is available using dtsearch for Enterprise Licensees. Contact Support@myworkdrive.com for more information. Before enabling search option ensure your MyWorkDrive server has sufficient memory, disk space and processing capacity (allocate at least 8 GB ram and 2 virtual CPU's for virtual machines). When the Windows Search Service is enabled on both the MyWorkDrive server, and file servers and indexing is complete, search will show as "enabled" for each folder provisioned in MyWorkDrive. Note for large file servers it may take several hours for the Windows Search Service to complete it's index after which search will be enabled in MyWorkDrive. To install the Windows Search Service, enable the feature using server manager:
After installing the search service, update the "indexing options" in the server control panel on the server hosting the shared files to include them in the index:
Once the indexing is complete, the indexing option in MyWorkDrive will show as enabled: Note for large file servers this may take several hours.
Adjust the timeout for broad searches under advanced settings in the MyWorkDrive Admin portal on your MyWorkDrive server.